“Kelly’s playing is deliberate and respectful,deceptively straightforward, but with fabulous intricacy and ornamentation and technical brilliance”. – George Fowler, Atlanta Celtic Quarterly
A solo recording by James Kelly recorded in Maine and released in 1997. Capelhouse Records #CD896012.
Recorded at New Solutions Studio, Somerville Maine. There is an immediacy to the recording that makes one feel that the performance is live. The recording quality is excellent, as are the extensive liner notes by James. The selections are a blend of reels,jigs,hornpipes,slip jigs, and slow airs, some fairly well known, others quiet obscure. Kelly is joined by a cast of superb musicians including Uilleann piper Paddy Keenan and multi-instrumentalist Zan Mc Leod.
The album features: James Kelly on fiddle. Paddy Keenan on uilleann pipes. Zan Mc Leod on guitars, bouzouki and mandolin. Mark Stone on bodhran and keyboards. Daithi Connaughton on flute.
List of Tunes:
1. Reels. Lads of Laois/Gan Ainm/The Heathry Cruach.
2. Jigs. Dark Corners/The Blossom of Ballisland/The Kings Inn.
3. Slow Air. Limerick’s Lamentation.
4. Hornpipes. An Tri is a Rian/Reavy’s/The Liverpool Breakdown.
5. Jigs. The Lost and Found/The Capelhouse/The Wind off the Lake.
6. Reels. Farewell to Ireland/The Wild Irishman/Dowd’s #9.
7. Slip Jigs. Gift from the fairies/Drops of Brandy/Is the big man within.
8. Strathspey/Reels. The Athol Brose/the Spinning Wheel/The Masons Apron.
9. Slow Air. The dear Irish Boy.
10. Reels. The London Set.
11. Jigs. The Humours of Ballingarry/The Rambling Pitchfork/The Blackm Rogue.
12. Single jig – slip jig- reel. Mary Brennan’s Favourite/Elizabeth Kelly’s Delight/Miss Mc Leod’s.
13. Reels. Winding Road of Advance/The Road to Knock/Molly Rankin’s.